Cargo Fleet - An Old Port
> Cargo Fleet - An Old Port
Although Middlesbrough was not born until 1829 nearby Cargo Fleet, was a place of some importance in medieval times and was the site of a fishing port called Kaldecotes situated at the point where the Marton and Ormesby Becks joined the River Tees. Before its medieval development the Anglo-Saxon name Kaldecotes meant 'the cold-shelter cottages', a place of refuge where fishermen or travellers could shelter from the wild winter weather. Somehow the name Caldecotes was corrupted into Cawker, then into Caudgatefleet and finally Cargo Fleet.
During the eighteenth century Cargo Fleet was also known as Cleveland Port and was the point where large ships off-loaded their cargoes onto fleets of smaller vessels. From here these smaller vessels were able to continue the journey along the River Tees to Stockton which was the main port in the area. Today the site of Kaldecotes is lost among the heavy industry of the district and has been swallowed up by the expansion of Middlesbrough.